Sunday, January 4, 2009

Feeding mouths, nourishing bodies



I've taken an unexpected blogging break due to crazy holidays, the expected stress that comes with having 40 people for Christmas dinner and the hardest news to report that we just found out on Christmas Eve that my Grandma Marge has lung cancer. Nothing quite sucks the life out of you than hearing that horrid word, cancer. We aren't sure what stage or exactly what kind of lung cancer we are dealing with yet, but we will learn more tomorrow when we visit the oncologist.

What does this have to do with my food blog you might wonder. A lot. Feeding many people with an open kitchen is a virtue and art that I learned from my Grandma Marge. There is no friend or family member that knows Grandma who has not eaten numerous, numerous meals made from her own hands.

But now it's our turn. For our hands to cook and nourish her. Due to her cancer, she has lost 20 lbs. over the past 5 months or so, and I'm taking it on as my personal task to keep her nourished. As a small way of saying thanks for being my inspiration in not only the kitchen, but in life. She jokes and laughs that I'm "Meals on Wheels" - sure is good to know that cancer can take her health but not her sense of humor.

6 comments:

RRC said...

A - I'm praying unceasingly! Loved this blog --- love your Grandma!

Hugs, my friend!

Rhonda

Carrie said...

You are a blessing to many sweetie. We are praying for you and your family during this time. Many hugs to you from us!

Lexybex said...

I can't stop crying. Your words are beautiful!

None said...

How sweet of you to care for your Grandmother. You are so lucky to have her near. My Grandparents reside quite a distance away, so our visits are limited. Moments with a Grandparent give one the warmest feeling, don't you think?

Adriene Rathbun said...

Lex - you and me both baby. Let's catch up soon. I love you, honey.

BG, it is a true blessing to have grown up so close in proximity and in relationship to my Grandmother. She's an incredible woman in so many ways.

Reenie said...

OMG A!!

Will you please email me at reenielou@hotmail.com

Lorena