Saturday, January 10, 2009

Holiday Prime Rib

Christmas morning, I tried to sleep in a bit. Yeah right. Mr. Up Early, Always The Early Bird gets the Worm, aka, my husband said, "Get up we have work to do." And of course he said Merry Christmas too. So I rolled out of bed and threw on his bathrobe, it was handy. Yes, it's important you cook this in a bathrobe. :) In the past, I would probably have let vanity get in the way of me posting this less than attractive picture of myself. But now, I just laugh and say - not many women wake up looking as glamourous as when they are done up.













We roasted a 15-lb bone-in prime rib. I have to say, this was my first time with a prime rib. It's an expensive cut and I've never had a reason to roast one. Wow, it was the hugest hit on Christmas Day, and I'll be roasting another one soon for a dinner party. 

Prime Rib from Saveur
Nowadays, most meat markets sell standing beef rib roasts whose smaller connective bones—called the chine bone and the feather bones—have already been removed (the chine is often tied back on to protect the meat from the oven's intense heat), which makes the meat easier to carve and produces a more handsome roast. Some markets will even slice the meat off the rib bones and then tie them back on; we found that the roast came out juicier when the bones were left attached. Either way, be sure the roast is tied at intervals between the rib bones; otherwise the flavorful crust may peel away from the meat during roasting.

1 5-bone beef standing rib roast (10–12 lbs.),
chine bone removed and tied back on
2 tbsp. kosher salt
1 1⁄2 tbsp. dry mustard, preferably Colman's (see
Canned Heat)
1 1⁄2 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary leaves
Coarsely ground black pepper, to taste

1. Season beef with salt, including the rack of bones. Rub mustard all over beef; sprinkle with rosemary and pepper. Set the beef in a 12" × 14" roasting pan. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2–3 days.

2. Remove beef from refrigerator 3 hours before you are ready to roast it, to allow it to come to room temperature. Arrange rack in lower third of oven and heat to 450°. Roast the beef, rib side up, until it begins to brown and sizzle, 20–25 minutes. Reduce temperature to 325°; continue roasting until a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the meat registers 120° (for medium rare), about 2 hours more. Transfer roast to a carving board and reserve any pan juices. Cover loosely with foil and let rest for 25–30 minutes. Remove and discard chine bone. Carve roast (following steps in Carving Prime Rib) and serve with reserved pan juices.



6 comments:

Carrie said...

Well, I think you look beautiful in this pic! I really mean it.

Carrie said...

oh, and I love seeing Habibi at the end of the posts. He is so cute!

Adriene Rathbun said...

Carrie, you are kind. A little too kind. :) That the prime rib recipe is incredible.

Carrie said...

Well, I know the woman beneath the robe...ummmm...did not come out right. LOL. I mean....well, you know what I mean! ;-)

andywomyn said...

What an awesome roasting pan! Please share — where can I find one that big? And the prime rib? S&S? I need to make up a holiday . . .

Adriene Rathbun said...

Andy, you can get a roasting pan at BB&B or Williams Sonoma. Depending on how much you want to spend. The prime rib came from Dillons, and it was good ol' Sterling Silver Premium Meats. ;) Make sure you get bone-in prime rib. Makes all the difference on flavor. And you'll need a meat thermometer too (in case you don't have one, pick one up).